Recipients of the Colorado PGA REACH Foundation’s Pillar Grants were announced during the 2019 Spring Business Meeting on Monday, March 25. The mission of the Pillar Grant Program is to provide financial assistance to facilities within the geographic boundaries of the Colorado Section to develop and/or significantly enhance growth of the game programs that align with the Three Pillars of our Foundation to attract and retain new golfers.
“Following the direction of our Board of Directors and our Colorado PGA REACH Foundation Trustees, we updated the grant program this year to support programs that directly align with the three Pillars of our Foundation – Youth, Military and Diversity & Inclusion,” comments Ben Welsh, PGA, President of the Colorado Section. “We couldn’t be more proud of the programs that were selected and to support our PGA Members in using the resources raised by our Trustees to further grow the game of golf here in Colorado and make a direct impact on the communities they serve.”
Grant awards and Foundation Pillars align as follows:
- Youth Development Programs – Golf in Schools and PGA Junior League;
- Supporting Our Military Programs – PGA HOPE; and
- Diversity & Inclusion Programs – Specifically reaching, benefits and involving Women and Minorities.
Colorado PGA REACH Trustee Chair, Spencer Zinn, continues by saying, “I believe I speak for the entire Board of Trustees for Colorado PGA REACH when I say that we are very pleased to be able to support all of these programs through our grant program. It’s programs like these, and the many outstanding Colorado PGA Professionals that run and facilitate them, that are the driving force behind the Colorado PGA REACH Foundation being responsible for moving the needle in growing the game of golf in Colorado.”
The Colorado PGA REACH Grant and Scholarship Committee recommended to the Board of Directors the approval of the following Pillar Grants:
- Leighton Smith Golf – Leighton Smith – “Swingin’ Teens” High School Mentor Program
- Legacy Ridge Golf Course – Joseph Carlton – Golf Westminster Youth Player Development
- Flatirons Golf Course – Tom Buzbee – Tuesday Morning Youths
- River Valley Ranch/ Youth Golf Colorado – Stephen VanDyke – Golf in the Park
- Eagle Vail Golf Club – Ryan Flamm – Ladies on the Links
- The Golf Club at Bear Dance – Cyrus Twete – PGA HOPE
- Buffalo Run Golf Course – Paul Hebinck – PGA HOPE
- Fossil Trace Golf Club – Jim Hajek – PGA HOPE
- Plum Creek Golf Course – Bo Heidrick – PGA HOPE
- Vail Valley – Ryan Flamm – PGA HOPE
- 1st Tee Pikes Peak – Maggie Hartman
- 1st Tee Denver – Scott Rethlake
- 1st Tee Green Valley Ranch – Matt Byrant
“It has always been the goal of the Foundation and our Trustees to increase the level of financial support we are able to provide to our Colorado PGA Members. Through recent growth of our Colorado PGA REACH Foundation, we’re now able to give back to our Colorado PGA Members and their families more than ever. We couldn’t be more delighted to share this growth and we will continue to look for additional ways to support our membership,” said Jim Hajek, PGA, Vice-President of the Colorado Section and Board Liaison to the Colorado PGA REACH Board.